This guide will walk you through all the basic steps of creating rules in Center. For examples, use cases and more information about rules and integrations, check out the links at the bottom of this article.
Step 1: Click “Create New Rule” in your Center dashboard to get started.
Sign in to your Center account if you haven’t already. To get started, click on Create New Rule or utilize one of our pre-made rule templates by clicking Start with a Rule Template.
If you’ve already created some rules, click Create New Rule in the top right corner of your Center dashboard, as shown below.
Step 2: Configure your rule’s segment.
2A: Select a data source (an email service provider, payment processor, etc...) or set up a new one from the “Manage Integrations” screen).
For additional details and a full list of services that integrate with Center, please see our Integration Overview.
2B: Select filter events and conditions for your source.
Filter events and conditions are used to 'segment' contacts that you will apply an action to in the second part of your rule. You can add multiple data sources, filter events, and conditions to create targeted segments like the one shown below.
See our rules overview for more details on creating segments.
Step 3: Add an action.
By defualt, Center automatically saves contacts created from your rule's segment. You can also set up additional actions that can be used to modify/update your contacts. Modifications include:
- moving contacts to another service,
- modifying contact information,
- removing contacts from a list,
- adding tags to existing contacts, and more.
Choose a target service (where you are sending or modifying contact information), then select the task(s) that will complete the action. You can see an example below.
Check out our rules overview for more details on setting up actions.
Step 4: Review your rule.
Before you activate your rule, it is important to double-check your the segments and actions you created. Once a rule is activated, it cannot be edited. To ensure your rule will work as you expect it:
- Verify that each part of your rule is filled out to completion—you will not be able to activate your rule if there are blank text fields, conditions, etc.
- Ensure all of your actions are set up as desired; keep in mind that any required fields in your target service must be included in your segment's source.
- Note any automation you have set up in either your source or target services—when contacts are added to your lists or otherwise modified, it may trigger rules or automations within that service.
Step 5: Name and activate your rule.
Choose a descriptive name for your rule—there are no limits to what you name your rules, and contacts will not see your rule’s name. Then, click the Activate Rule button. When you do, you’ll see a popup notification that your rule is either active or has errors that need to be resolved.
Please let us know if you have additional questions!
We’re here to help. If you run into any issues or just have additional questions, please contact our support team. You can also create a ticket by clicking the banner in the bottom right corner of the Center interface.