Our Lead Magnet Delivery system makes it easy to deliver a free gift to your leads as soon as they submit one of your forms.
You can download three customizable “resource guide” templates if you need a hand creating your lead magnet. Click here to download them.
You can edit the templates in PowerPoint (.pptx) or Keynote (.key).
In this article…
Choosing a delivery system
Our Lead Magnet Delivery system is a quick way to send a file to new opt-ins, but you may want to use another system for a few reasons:
- if you’re using double or confirmed opt-in (so subscribers don’t receive your file before confirming their subscription)
- to customize the look and feel of your lead magnet email, which isn’t possible using our delivery system
- to send a lead magnet to existing subscribers
You’ll need to check with your email service provider (ESP) for instructions on sending files to new subscribers. For full details, see our article here: How to Deliver a Digital Asset Using a Third-Party Service. Otherwise, read on for step-by-step instructions on using our system.
Uploading your lead magnet to your account
You can follow our in-app tutorial here (while signed into your Leadpages account), or the steps below:
NOTE: Each file you upload to our Lead Magnet Delivery system has a maximum size of 250 MB.
- Click your name in the top-right corner of your account, then Lead Magnet Delivery.
- Click Create New Lead Magnet.
- Choose a name, upload your file, then fill out the sender and message fields.
- When you’re done, hit Save.
When our system sends your lead magnet, the email will come from
email@example.com using the “Sender Name” you specify. Any responses to the delivery email will get sent to your “Sender Email.”
Connecting your lead magnet to a form
In order to use your lead magnet, you’ll need to connect it to a form (or Leadbox). Once you’ve added your lead magnet to your form, anyone who submits it will receive an email with a link to download your file and the message you wrote when you uploaded it.
In the Drag & Drop Builder
- Add a form widget or Leadbox to your page (or use an existing one).
- Click the form to open its settings, then select the “follow-up” tab.
- Click Add a File and choose your lead magnet from the drop-down menu.
- Hit Save & Close Form. Then, be sure to update or publish your page.
In the Standard Builder
- Click any call-to-action button or link on your page to open its associated opt-in form.
- At the top of the form panel, toggle the switch to “On” next to “Send An Email After Someone Opts-in On This Leadbox.”
- Select your lead magnet from the drop-down menu.
- If you’d like, click Customize the email to customize the message that will be sent alongside your file’s download link. Click Save from the popup window if you choose to customize your message.
- Click Okay in the form settings panel and then save your page.
NOTE: The steps above will also work for standalone Leadboxes.
That’s it! You’ve now added your lead magnet to your form.
What happens next
- After your lead opts in on your page, they’ll be taken to a thank you page, as usual. (Unless you choose the “Remain on Page” option in a drag-an-drop Leadbox.)
- Our system will immediately send an email to them with a link to your chosen file (along with your custom message, sender name, and reply-to email address).
- When leads click the download button in that email, they can choose between downloading the file or opening it (depending on their browser settings).
Note that the email may look slightly different in other email clients.
Frequently asked questions
Can I get a direct URL to a lead magnet in my account?
No, Lead Magnets are only sent via email to new leads.
How do I customize the message for my lead magnet in the Drag & Drop Builder?
Message customization isn’t available yet in the builder, but you can edit your original lead magnet message in your account settings. Here’s how:
- Click your name in the top-right corner of your Leadpages dashboard, then Lead Magnet Delivery.
- Select the pencil icon next to the lead magnet you wish to change, and edit its fields.
- Be sure to save your updates for them to take effect.
I’m testing my Lead Magnet and haven’t received it… what can I do?
Your lead magnet should send immediately after you opt in to a form where one is configured. If you haven’t received an email, first double-check your spam folder and your form settings to ensure your lead magnet and page are saved.
After you’ve taken those steps, please reach out to our support team if you still can’t receive your Lead Magnet so we can help out!
(Updated January 31, 2017)
Please let us know if you have additional questions
You can always file a support ticket if you have additional questions by clicking the Support button in your dashboard shown here or clicking here to file a support ticket.
You may also be interested in: