Connect MailChimp to your Leadpages account to send leads directly to any of your lists. Below, you’ll learn how to set up your integration, collect leads, and resolve basic issues you may encounter.
The fine print
- You’ll need Manager-level permissions or higher in MailChimp to connect your account.
- To use MailChimp throughout your Leadpages account, you’ll need to integrate in two different places, as described below.
Integrate your account
Follow the steps below to connect your MailChimp account to Leadpages.
Generate and copy an API key
Our integration leverages MailChimp’s API, so you’ll need a key to connect your account. MailChimp has a detailed guide on how to generate a new API key, available here: About API Keys.
Once you generate or find the API key, copy it and navigate back to your Leadpages account.
Add your API key to Leadpages
Since MailChimp is available in our Drag & Drop and Standard (Legacy) Builder tools, we have details for adding your API key to both integration systems:
- Drag & Drop Builder: To use MailChimp with our Drag & Drop Builder and Leadboxes, follow our integrations setup guide here.
- Standard Builder: To use MailChimp with our Standard Builder, standalone Leadboxes, Leaddigits, and/or Leadlinks, follow our guide here. All these tools use the same integration system.
Send leads to MailChimp
Congrats, you’ve now connected your MailChimp account with Leadpages! To start sending leads to MailChimp, open the integration settings for your Leadpage, Leadbox, Leadlink, or Leaddigit, and select the list where you’d like contacts to end up.
More detailed information on how to configure your integration settings can be found here: Choose a Destination for your Leads.
Define your fields
To collect information beyond an email address and name, you’ll need to set up additional fields within MailChimp. There are a few ways to do this, which are covered here by MailChimp: Manage List and Signup Form Fields.
After you configure your form within MailChimp, you should see any additional fields appear so you can add them to your form within Leadpages (as seen in the example below).
Our forms work with MailChimp lists that are segmented into groups. To let your subscribers select a group, be sure to add a Groups form field within MailChimp. You can use a drop-down menu, checkboxes, or radio buttons as described here: Create a New List Group.
Another option is to add subscribers to a pre-selected group. To do so, set your group field to “Hidden”, then choose the default option. As an example, here’s a form in the Drag & Drop Builder for a watch giveaway page. You’ll notice a specific watch color is pre-selected, so any entry will get segmented into that Group in MailChimp.
Configure double opt-in settings
Lists in MailChimp default to a double opt-in process, so any subscribers must confirm their subscription (via an email link) before they end up on your list. Using double opt-in has many benefits, including protection against spam.
However, you can choose to disable the process when you integrate with Leadpages.
Here’s how to toggle the setting:
Drag & Drop Builder
- Open the integration settings for any Drag & Drop form.
- Select MailChimp from Integrations › Add an Integration › More Services.
- Click the Actions more menu for your MailChimp account, then click Toggle Double Opt-In. The option will read (OFF) when disabled, and (ON) when enabled.
Standard Builder (+ Leaddigits, Leadlinks, and Standard Leadboxes)
- Click your name in the top-right corner of your account dashboard, then choose Integrations.
- Select MailChimp.
- Click the toggle beside “Double opt-in is …” to switch the option on or off.
For detailed steps on getting to integration settings, please see Connect Your Integrations.
Migrating to MailChimp's 3.0 API in the Standard (Legacy) Builder
In 2016, MailChimp announced their decision to no longer support any API versions below v3.0. Our engineers are working on migrating the existing Legacy MailChimp integration to use the new MailChimp v3.0 API. New features are available when using the updated MailChimp API, including lead backup as well as being able to download your opt-ins as a CSV file.
If you choose to manually update any of your active Standard Leadpages, Leadboxes, Leadlinks, or Leaddigits to the updated MailChimp API version, here’s how:
- Create a new MailChimp integration at the account level so that you are connected through MailChimp v3.0 instead of Legacy MailChimp, as seen below.
When you create the new integration, you can use any active API key from MailChimp—no need to use a special “3.0” key. For full instructions on finding your API key, see MailChimp’s article here. You can also have the two versions of the MailChimp API connected simultaneously.
- For each active (Standard) Leadpage, Leadlink, Leadbox, and Leaddigit using MailChimp, you will need to reload the integration options, select “MailChimp v3,” then reload your MailChimp lists and select one.
- Save the updated integration (either by clicking the green Customize this form or blue Done button in your form’s sidebar settings).
We recommend opting in to least one Leadpage or Leadbox using the MailChimp v3.0 integration to verify everything works as expected.
Troubleshooting tips and FAQs
Is there a way to enable Welcome Emails and subscriber notifications when using single opt-in?
Unfortunately, the way the single opt-in setting works, it’s not possible to turn those MailChimp features on. However, there are a couple options you can consider:
- Instead of a Welcome Email, you can set up an automation for your list. For instance, you could use one of MailChimp’s list activity automations. For additional guidance, check out MailChimp’s tutorial: Add an Automation.
- While MailChimp’s regular subscriber notifications won’t send, you can set up Lead Notifications instead. To learn how, check out: Receive Email Notifications for New Opt-Ins.
(Updated July 6, 2018)
Please let us know if you have additional questions.
You can always file a support ticket if you have additional questions by clicking the Support button in your dashboard as shown here or clicking here to file a support ticket.