With Center, you can create YouTube embed codes that enable viewer tracking. Once you do, you’ll be able to create all sorts of rules that segment contacts based on whether they watch your video (or even by how long they stick around).
Let’s get started!
In this article:
The fine print
These are some of the details you’ll want to keep in mind as you get started with Center’s YouTube integration:
- You must have at least one existing YouTube video (with an embed code) that you’d like to use.
- The integration relies on the Center’s Tracking Code to function. You must embed your video on a page where your tracking code is installed.
- Each video you track will have its own setup in your Center account. Follow the steps below for each of your videos to use them in rules.
Integrate Center with YouTube
The YouTube integration works a bit differently than other services, as each video you track will act as a separate “account” in Center. Follow the steps below for each video whose activity you’d like to track.
- From your YouTube account, copy the embed code for the video you’d like to track. For a full guide, check out Google’s article on embedding videos.
- Back in Center, click Integrations, then select YouTube.
- Click Get Started, then choose the tracking code you’d like to use. Once you select your tracking code, click Save & Continue.
- Paste your video’s embed code in the “YouTube Embed Code” field, then give your video a name. You’ll use the name in to identify specific videos in rules, but your visitors won’t see it.
- Click Generate Code & Continue. Copy your new embed code and paste it wherever you’d like your video to appear (whether that’s on a Leadpage, your website, etc.).
<head>tag. The integration will not work without it. To learn more about using Center’s tracking code, check out our guide here: Website Activity (Tracking Code).
Options for creating contact segments
Available Event Filters
- Video view
Please see our conditions reference to learn more about standard conditions.
FAQs and troubleshooting tips
Can I track how long someone views my video, or if they watch the entire thing?
You can, although you’ll need to segment in 10-second increments. For instance, you can segment anyone who watches more than 40 seconds of your video (as shown below). To target viewers who watch your entire video, simply use a duration condition that’s set to greater than your video’s length.
(Updated March 15, 2017)
Please let us know if you have additional questions!
We’re here to help. If you run into any issues or just have additional questions, please contact our support team. Click the question mark icon in the top-right corner of your Center dashboard to get started.